Thursday, February 07, 2008

Read at your own risk



Yesterday I was exhausted from work. But when I got home we still went for the scope. It was very interesting to say the least. Read at your own risk, some things I discuss might be gross: After the semen was collected we had to let it sit for 20 min at 25C (to not hurt motility). It was a gel like substance and after 20 min it was "liquidy" just like the manual said. Ok, that part is normal. Then it said to collect all the sample in a pipette and measure the volume. The volume was 2.5mL, anything above 2mL is normal - check! Then it said to mix sample and collect one drop to place it on the special slide - done. Had to repeat bc I had it backwards on the 1st one. At 1st I couldn't see a thing but then when I held the slide down you could see a bunch of them. It was actually pretty cool to see them swimming around tail and all; Eddie looked too. We did notice that not all of them went in a straight line, one of the things the manual mentioned to check for. As far as the shape, although it wasn't high resolution they all looked normal. I didn't see any with two tails or two heads or curved tails. In that respect I see improvement, but we would need more in depth medical test for that result. I was suppose to dilute the sample with diluent to check for volume but I forgot and it was too late to do when I realized it. As of now there was clear evidence of motility problems. Yesterday Eddie decided to give it a clear go and stop nicotine again. I hope he really sticks to his guns this time around and see if quitting actually makes a difference in three months time. We agreed for him to get checked in 3 months professionally. I hope there is improvement then!

2 comments:

JJ said...

Sounds like Eddie will keep on track by being able to really SEE how the swimmers are being affected!

Helene said...

Yes, I was hoping that seeing them would have an affect on him. I hope he keeps it up, today is his day 4th nicotine free!